elena levon, ms. levon, elena, yelena, lenochka, el, elle or just lena
( whichever you prefer )
Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. ~ Franz Kafka
( Click on the highlighted areas below for a story )
1. Born a month early (patience has never been my virtue) & have a Russian Soul. I’m full of contradictions, absurdities, imperfections, insecurities and flaws.
3. Bilingual – Russian & English
4. Unmarried (most of the time, happily.) & it’s complicated
6. I’m a Cultural Chameleon, but not a Russian spy ( so stop asking )
7. Love being on the road with as less stuff as possible & embrace solo travel.
9. Believe in Compassion & Giving back
10. Not good with planning, but know how to Travel The World on the cheap and got rid of my “bucket list” & TV. Will never have a twitter, pinterest or facebook accounts.
17. Got up, close and personal with monkeys in Bali.
18. Zip-lined in Costa Rica
19. Almost got married several times and one of them was to a beautiful woman
21. A true Minimalist ~ My closet is always half empty, because I recycle clothes and donate them & love to spend money in thrift stores. Buying hundreds or thousands of dollars stuff in order to look classy, stylish and expensive won’t work, if you don’t know how to wear a 20 dollar dress and look like a million bucks…
By the way if you’re one of those people, YOU NEED THERAPY.
22. Got really close to Gorillas in The Mist
23. Persuaded a manager of the bank to open it on a Sunday morning in Zanzibar.
24. What I love ; coffee, Frank Sinatra, Juliette Binoche, dancing, black color clothing, people watching, Honest Films, ARTIST’S , antiques & Blues. But not a big fan of shopping & beauty salons — do my own hair, nails and make up, thank you very much.
25. Quit smoking “cold turkey” in 2008 after smoking for 10 years and have been smoke free ever since. (however, I do miss a good cigar sometimes)
26. Stepped over the railing at“The Peak” in Hong Kong.
27. Have 0 interest in having a “normal life” ~ mortgage, credit cards, “beach proposal / wedding”, retirement fund, any kind of “insurance”, 9-5 job, beige color clothing, botox and plastic surgery, huge SUV’s , 2 week “vacation” time, flat screen tv’s, shopping addiction, clutter, shitty fast food, all you can eat type of food, wedding rehearsal dinner (what the fuck is that all about? you either do it or don’t.. life is not perfect, neither will be your marriage.. suck it up and stop wasting money on stuff you don’t NEED),
“happily ever after” bullshit that every girl wants in America.. that sentence makes me queasy, not understanding the difference between need vs. want, white wedding dress ( white represents virginity, thank god, i’m not one anymore, so why pretend ? .. but then again, a lot of marriages today, are just that – a pretend game… and i want nothing to do with that kind of game.. I’ll be wearing black, no baby showers & play dates…. play dates? Is this a joke? Since when did some women became professional “diaper sniffers” (thank you George Carlin and RIP), instead of Wooomen? Ladies, you’re making your own grave with your own hands. Buy your husband a lap dance instead…or give him one yourself … ( your marriage will benefit much more )
28. Spent my 28th Birthday in the highest dunes of Sahara, survived sandstorm at Giza Pyramids & visited Cleopatra’s wedding gift. Saw one of the best Flamenco performances in the world. I became a Dual Citizen. Traveled through and lived in Morocco. Shared food with a Nomad family in the desert. Experienced a contact high in Chefchaouen & stayed at the WORST hotel in the world. Explored Tangier with a French writer and was invited to a home of a descendant of Russian Nobility. Fell in love with Catalonia. Lived in Moscow for 3 months after 9 years of absence. Experienced Russian Extreme. Cut and donated 17 inches of my curls to charity. (28, I will miss you dearly…you were one of the best years of my life)
29. Tasted freedom of the Greek Soul. Slept in a Cave. Tried to Be Italian. Rocked it front row at the Pet Shop Boys concert in Barcelona. Police officer in Venice stopped the train for me. Lived in a villa next to George Clooney in Laglio, Como. Got drenched inside one of the main fountains in Como & partied like a rock star. Swam topless in South of France. Ran under the rain in Paris. Got in a fight with Russian mobsters at a strip club in Saint Petersburg. Had to put on hold my travel plans to China through Mongolia, due to a bunch of different issues that came up. Made a crazy decision to move cross-country from Los Angeles to New York. Cried after my breakfast in Middle America, but felt incredibly at peace in the forests of east coast. Got swept away by New York’s beauty ~ Her Majesty The Fall. …
“What in your life is calling you? When all the noise is silenced, the meetings adjourned, the lists laid aside, and the wild iris blooms by itself in the dark forest, what still pulls on your soul? In the silence between your heartbeats hides a summons, do you hear it? Name it, if you must, or leave it forever nameless, but why pretend it is not there?” – The Terma Collective
Social status has never been a goal or a priority of mine. I can’t tell the difference between jimmy choos and prada. To me it’s just a shiny wrapper with no substance or real value. Our world today has more important issues to deal with, than a decision making of what brand of shoes to buy this afternoon or what color the highlights should be.
We get bombarded with slogans that scream at us that we’re not good enough, cool enough, young enough, beautiful enough…fill in the blank…
→ You are enough! ←
You are beautiful and unique in your own amazing way!
Don’t ever let anyone sabotage or doubt that… not even yourself.
What matters at the end of the day are not things at all … It’s all those shared moments of laughter, joy, love and everything in between with people we love.
It’s about creating yourself, discovering the world around us and helping each other along the way.
And it’s also about dancing while the music is being played…
Don’t just dream the dream… LIVE it!
Elena Levon xo
Word of Honor:
Joseph Heller, an important and funny writer now dead, and I were at a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island.
I said, “Joe, how does it make you feel to know that our host only yesterday may have made more money than your novel ‘Catch-22′ has earned in its entire history?”
And Joe said, “I’ve got something he can never have.”
And I said, “What on earth could that be, Joe?”
And Joe said, “The knowledge that I’ve got enough.”
Not bad! Rest in peace!” – Kurt Vonnegut
” Feather to fire, fire to blood, blood to bone, bone to marrow, marrow to ashes, ashes to snow…” - Gregory Colbert
This is my LIFE & WORK.
I write about my journey, with all it’s heartbreak, passion & joy.
This is a personal memoir.
ps – all the juicy and really naughty parts are going into the print version…
Let There Always Be A Road…
– Legal Disclaimer –
*** All Images, videos, ideas and text displayed on http://www.mselenalevontraveling.com are protected by Copyright Laws and cannot be reproduced in any manner without written permission. If you would like to use any of imagery and text displayed on this site, you may send a request. ***
Copyright 2011-2013. Ms. Elena Levon Traveling. All Rights Reserved
*** This website gets thousands of comments. It mistakes some of them for spam and sends them directly to spam folder of over 200 k actual spam comments. If you don’t see your comment, try submitting it again.
The woman behind the journey …